Almost everyone would like to lose a few pounds. Unfortunately, many people shed quite a few pennies in hopes of shedding some weight — and few actually see a difference on the scale. Don’t be suckered into expensive get-thin-fast plans. Here are some ways to lose weight without breaking the bank.
- Skip the pricey gym membership. Guess what, weight loss hopefuls? There’s absolutely no correlation between fancy equipment and weight loss. Jog, run or walk the dog outside. Join a sports league. Find a free or inexpensive gym in your area.
- Limit your splurges. Eating out or loading up on sweets at the grocery store is not only bad for your wallet — it’s bad for your waistline, too. Why not load a prepaid card with your allotted “splurge” or “dining out” budget for the month? Once it’s gone, it’s gone, meaning you’ll have to load up on home-cooked meals instead.
- Buy local produce that’s in-season. Learn to love your hometown’s growing season. Fresh, in-season produce is cheaper than out-of-season produce. Better still, it’s more nutritious for you because it’s fresher and has spent less time in a truck to get to your dinner table.
- Take the stairs already. Repeat this to yourself: you don’t need the elevator. Take the stairs for at least a couple of flights. You’d be amazed at how many calories a trip up the stairs can burn.
- Forget the diet pills. You probably already know this, but there is no miracle weight loss drug out there. You’ve got to lose weight the old-fashioned way: through exercise and a balanced diet.